Subject: Re: port-i386/7448: X11 w/ wscons sporadic keyboard hangs and unable
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/03/1999 13:43:49
On 03.05.99, 15:54:41, Duncan McEwan wrote:

> Admitably, I haven't yet completely upgraded to 1.4_BETA.  I simply tried
> running a 1.4_BETA kernel.  As with Matthias, it's only the keyboard that
> wedges - the mouse continues fine and if I am connected to a network I
> can log in quite happily.
>
> I did wonder whether the problem was that I was running a version 3.3.3 X
> server compiled for NetBSD 1.3.2 with pcvt and so it might be driving the
> console in a compatibility mode that isn't as well tested as the native wscons
> mode.  So I tried updating my X server to the binary available with the
> 1.4_BETA snapshot.  But that didn't work because the newer server required
> a symbold to be defined in  there was an undefined
> symbol in the 1.3.2 libc.so.

You certainly should upgrade the complete binary distribution,
including the X11 sets.

I had the same problem when running 1.4_ALPHA with an old Xserver
built for 1.3.x. Now that I run 1.4_BETA and a recent xbase and
Xserver, everything is just fine. (Except that my keyboard is of
inferiour quality hardware-wise, but that's a different story.)

Running mismatched kernel and userland is generally a Bad Thing.

> Maybe I can put the newer libraries from the 1.4_BETA snapshot on my system and
> test it that way?  I'm a bit nervous about trying a full upgrade to 1.4_BETA
> because it will be hard for me to back out if it still doesn't work.

Make a complete backup. And, oh, 1.4_BETA works very well and very
reliable, unlike _ALPHA, which did not (here).

--
Bernd Sieker

Unix, the solution to the W2k problem.