Subject: Re: port-i386/7448: X11 w/ wscons sporadic keyboard hangs and unable to set autorepeat rate
To: None <mkb@altair.mayn.de>
From: Duncan McEwan <duncan@MCS.VUW.AC.NZ>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/03/1999 15:54:41
> I've now experienced for 3 times that after arbitrary time while using
> X11 the keyboard hang.  Mouse events and everything else kept working,
> un- and replugging the keyboard or restarting the X server put the
> keyboard back into operation.  I'm using the wscons console driver
> (exact configuration see below).  Getty isn't waiting on the virtual
> tty I run X on.

I have experienced what sounds like exactly the same problem on my Digital
Hinote VP710 laptop.  Unfortunately I can't unplug the keyboard so I don't know
if that fixes it for me but restarting the X server certainly does.

Admitably, I haven't yet completely upgraded to 1.4_BETA.  I simply tried
running a 1.4_BETA kernel.  As with Matthias, it's only the keyboard that
wedges - the mouse continues fine and if I am connected to a network I
can log in quite happily.

I did wonder whether the problem was that I was running a version 3.3.3 X
server compiled for NetBSD 1.3.2 with pcvt and so it might be driving the
console in a compatibility mode that isn't as well tested as the native wscons
mode.  So I tried updating my X server to the binary available with the
1.4_BETA snapshot.  But that didn't work because the newer server required
a symbold to be defined in  there was an undefined
symbol in the 1.3.2 libc.so.

Maybe I can put the newer libraries from the 1.4_BETA snapshot on my system and
test it that way?  I'm a bit nervous about trying a full upgrade to 1.4_BETA
because it will be hard for me to back out if it still doesn't work.

Hopefully the problem is just caused by something like the mismatched server
and kernel.  The fact that no one else has complained about it suggests that it
can't be that common, which given the closeness of the 1.4 release date
is just as well ...

Duncan