Subject: IDE disk drive in my laptop in improperly probed
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: None <dbsaint@bellsouth.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/01/1999 22:46:32
Since you are the one that maintains such things :)

I have a laptop that is a Micron Millenia Transport.
It has a 3 GB drive that is not properly probed by the install kernel resulting
in < not to mention major data loss for me , but thats the whole fun of beta
testing > anyway, Im pretty sure this is the model drive that originally came
with the laptop.
the bios reports this:

Type: Auto 3242 Mb
Cylinders:  6282
Heads:       16
Sectors / track  63
Write precomp: none

Multi sector transfers  16 sectors
LBA mode control Enabled
32 Bit I/O Enabled
Transfer Mode: Fast PIO 4

NetBSd finds this disk to be:
 1024 cylinders
 8 heads
 17 sect / track

which only leaves me like a 68 MB disk :/

Heres what '# fdisk wd0'  said when i dropped into /bin/sh

0: start 63 size 2459457 (1200MB), flag 0x00
  beg: cylinder  0, head  1 , sector 1
  end cylinder 304, head  127 , sector  63
 1: start 2459520, size 3693312 (1803MB), flag 0x0
  beg: cylinder  305, head 0 , sector 1
  end: cylinder 762, head  127, sector 63
 2: start 6152832,  size 177408 (86MB), flag 0x0
  beg: cylinder 763, head  0, sector  1
  end: cylinder  784, head 127, sector  63

pretty confusing eh ?

But heres the thing. If i try to make a partition and install on it .. i get a
negative space .. ie "there is -1183 MB left on your disk NetBSd requires
atleast blah blah blah ..."

So I cant Install .

I have made some postings on the list about this. there should be some more
information available there .

I figured this might be of interest to you .

cheers!

PS. How can I get an email address on NetBSD.org ??

 Tony Hernandez ::: Intellon Corporation
             MCP   A+
        Workstation Administrator