Subject: Re: Cyrix Cache oddity and isdn4bsd on 1.4_BETA?
To: None <bsieker@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/01/1999 07:26:53
On Fri, 30 Apr 1999 12:59:25 +0200  Bernd Sieker wrote:

>   NetBSD 1.3.2 (CONSTRICTOR) #1: Fri Mar 12 12:03:40 CET 1999
>       bernd@boa:/usr/src/sys-i4b/arch/i386/compile/CONSTRICTOR
>   cpu0: Cyrix 486DLC (486-class)
>   WARNING: CYRIX 486DLC CACHE UNCHANGED.

Hmm ... Cyrix changed the "write through" cache as used by Intel 486s
to "write back" on at least some of their processors.  I *think* this
is what the kernel is complaining about.

When I used such a processor on a motherboard that didn't explicitly
support the Cyrix chips it mostly worked, but had occasional core
dumps and such particularly under load.

I replaced the processor with a genuine Intel part at that point since
I cared about the integrity of my data; I don't know if the i386
kernel with UVM can really support the chip or not.

I'm not 100% sure this is the type of chip you have either -- this is
long ago history and the part names get fuzzy at a distance!

Regards,

Giles