Subject: RE: Cyrix Cache oddity and isdn4bsd on 1.4_BETA?
To: , <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/30/1999 17:51:47
>   WARNING: CYRIX 486DLC CACHE UNCHANGED.
>
> What does this mean, and what inconvenient consequences might it have,
> that NetBSD thinks it needs to warn me about this? So far the machine
> runs fine and about 50% faster than the old Intel.

The kernel hasn't touched the Cyrix special cache settings, as it does not
know if this is safe on that machine. It's safe if your BIOS does the right
thing (i.e. is Cyrix aware), and I think there are some kernel options to
tell the kernel about this fact.

The default, with the warning you see, is safe, but maybe a bit slower. I
used to run a router with this warning for some time and never had enough
incentive to find out if the BIOS knew about the processor.

> One other thing: I installed 1.4_BETA on a second hard disk in that
> computer, but was unable to make isdn4bsd-beta-00.71 work with it
> (neither did it work with 1.3.3 for me).

A new public beta of I4B will be available real soon - we are just arranging
for it to work with the 1.4 release...

Martin