Subject: Re: sysinst and mediatype
To: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/29/1999 20:21:23
On Apr 29, mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote

> sorry for the slow reply, I've been out of the office.  The boot messages
> go by pretty quick, but here's what I saw.
>
> with 1.3.2 boot disk,
> ep1 shows up as a 3C509B EtherLink III
>
> with 1.4_BETA boot disk,
> the boot message shows ep0 _and_ ep1 as 3C509B, however there is only 1
> NIC in this computer.  In fact if from the utility menu I run /bin/sh and
> then do
> ifconfig -a
> I see ep0 _and_ ep1 listed, but with the same MAC address.
>
> I can do stuff like
> ifconfig ep1 my_ip_addr broadcast_addr netmask 0xffff0000
> route add default my_gateway_addr
>
> and ifconfig ep1 shows the interface configured, but I can't ping the
> nameserver.

This is a know bug, I think it has been fixed now: the 3c509b shows up
as both regular ISA and PnP board (in fact, 3com had some kind of PnP for their
boards, before the real PnP was normalised, the 3c509b use both).
What happens if you use ep0 instead of ep1 ?
Otherwise someone should be able to provide you a working boot floppy.