Subject: Re: 100Base NIC cards
To: Merlin Wilkerson <merlin@seas.smu.edu>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/28/1999 19:33:23
On Wed, Apr 28, 1999 at 11:02:27AM -0500, Merlin Wilkerson wrote:
> 3Com 3C905-TX  works but performs poorly ~85 K/s.
>                Read something about the driver not being able to effect
>                card settings.  Used config utility to lock it down at 100/FD.
>                No change in performance.
>                Built kernel from 19990315 snapshot.
>                That got it up to ~200 K/s.
That's really strange. We've got one in our server and I've got a -B in
one of my boxes. We never had *any* problems with it.

The server's 3c905 is connected via 100BaseTX to a switch and my 3c905B
with 10BaseT to an other port of this switch. I get >1000KByte/s with
ftp in both directions.

I have also tested 100BaseTX with my 3c905B in an FastEthernet port and
of that port and got something ~4000kBytes/s. I know ftp is not a real NIC
test, because of disc-I/O etc.
All interfaces and switch ports configured to halfduplex.

The server has run something in the range 1.3.1-1.3.2 and my system current
of that time.  I don't remember when I did the test, october-december
perhaps.

There was some discussion about the autonegotiation not working properly,
so try "hardwiring" everything.

Bye,
  Thilo.
--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.