Subject: 100Base NIC cards
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Merlin Wilkerson <merlin@seas.smu.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/28/1999 11:02:27
Hi,

    I am new to NetBSD.  The whole installation and system configuration
(except for the NIC card) was smooth and the system seems to working very
well.   Can't believe I haven't looked at NetBSD before.   Makes me wonder
what other good stuff I've missed...

    Below is a summary of cards I have tried.  It would be nice to use
the card that came with the machine (NC3120).   However if someone could
recommend a 100Base card that performs well with NetBSD, that would be just
as good.

thanks,
merlin

System: Compaq Deskpro Pentium-II 400
OS:     NetBSD 1.1.3

NIC Card       Comments
-------------  ---------------------------------------------------------------
Compaq NC3120  recognized by OS as Intel EtherExpress PRO 10+/100B
               system locks up with sysinst -> configure network

3Com 3C509B    good performance (800+K/s)

3Com 3C905-TX  works but performs poorly ~85 K/s.
               Read something about the driver not being able to effect
               card settings.  Used config utility to lock it down at 100/FD.
               No change in performance.
               Built kernel from 19990315 snapshot.
               That got it up to ~200 K/s.
               Went back to the 10Base card and 1.1.3