Subject: Re: netbooting from a floppy disk bootblock.
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/28/1999 11:52:03
simonb@netbsd.org said:
> I'm trying to build a bootblock that I can throw on a floppy that will
> netboot a kernel.

This _should_ work. I haven't tried it for a while, but this
used to work, and the Makefiles are intentionally laid out in a
way which allows this.

> The PC has a 3c905b

I'm using the standalone driver on 3c900b cards in semi-production,
and I've tested it with a 3c905b once.

> it's locking up between
> the
> 	delay(1000);
> and the
> 	ex_waitcmd();

Hmm - there was some trouble in the real kernel driver
with the 3com cards too - perhaps something timing related
which shows up in certain (fast?) environments.
Perhaps you can extrapolate from the changes in the kernel
driver and play around a bit? (The whole standalone driver
is based on extrapolation and educated guesses since I don't
have documentation for the card.)

> Am I doing something that's completely wrong and has no chance of ever
> working?  Is the standalone 3x905b driver known to work or not work in
> a standalone program?

No - what you try is reasonable. As I said - "it works for me".

best regards
Matthias