Subject: Problems with Upgrading NetBSD-1.3.3 --> NetBSD-1.4_BETA
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org, port-i386@netbsd.org, port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Markus Kilbinger <kilbi@rad.rwth-aachen.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/26/1999 07:37:52
Hi!

Finally it worked on both platforms I've tried the upgrade: An i386-PC
and a Sparc/IPX. But I ran into some minor problems:

- Under NetBSD-1.3.3 there's '/usr/include/{i386,sparc}@ -> machine', and
  under NetBSD-1.4_BETA it's '/usr/include/machine@ -> {i386,sparc}'.

  -> Unpacking of 'base.tgz' produces an error, which breaks the
  installation on my i386. Afterwards on both machines compiling
  failed due to the missing header files.

- Once the upgrading failed on the i386 the machine is in an unusable
  state because the old /etc is renamed to /etc.old and a new
  insufficent one was created. -> You have to fix it by hand to get
  the upgrade procedure to rerun again...

- NetBSD-1.4_BETA's sunos-Emulation on my sparc fails to run
  AcrobatReader 3.1 (-> core dump, some kind of memory allocation
  problem). NetBSD-1.3.3 was able to run the AcrobatReader...

Otherwise everything works fine under NetBSD-1.4_BETA. Especially my
sparc became significantly faster due to UVM :-)). Great work!

Markus.