Subject: Re: login: Permission denied
To: Matthias Meyser <Matthias.Meyser@harz.de>
From: Josh Hope <otaku@unixborg.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/25/1999 04:16:24
>Perhaps /etc/passwd is brocken? Pointing to a false homedir?
>Try "finger" to verify the homedir for a user
>
>CU
>   Matthias

After first reading this, I felt a little put off at you suggesting the
most obvious problem. "Of course the password file is right! See, lemme
open it up and..." Then it sorta hit me like a freight train speeding at
around 200MPH.

Revelation: The simplest answer often is the correct answer.

Okay, the password file *was* broken...but not by the computer, by human
error. I am really ashamed of admitting this, but in my hurry to get it
back up and running I quite accidentally switched the shell and home
directory fields around. I had already checked for this, and for some
reason when I looked at the passwd file it all looked *right*. Until
looking after your e-mail :)

So to make a long story short, Matthias was right. So was I in stating in
the beginning that this is probably a very obvious problem. Oh well. We
all make mistakes :)

Many thanks to all who helped in the solving of this ridiculously simple
problem. And many apologies for my ignorance...

Thanks again,

-- Josh Hope