Subject: Re: login: Permission denied
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Joseph Sarkes <joe@js.ne.mediaone.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/24/1999 14:43:51
From joe Sat Apr 24 14:41:08 1999
To: otaku@unixborg.net (Josh Hope)
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 14:41:08 -0400 (EDT)

Josh Hope writes:

> >> It's becoming frustrating :) Out of all the great minds out there,
> >> there's gotta be an answer *somewhere*.
> >
> >I haven't been following this too closely, so apologies if you've seen
> >these before...
> >
> > + Can you cd to the home directory (as any user)?  If so, the following
> >   will print out all the intermediate directories:
>
> I can't cd to it as any user because the machine won't let me login as
> any user, just as root. But yes, as root I can cd to /home so I suppose
> that counts :)

I ran into some similar trouble one time with some snapshot. As I
recall, there were a few things that might have gotten in the
way. My system was an alpha though, but similar results.

1) I assume that you are in multi-user and not single user. I had some
weird login trouble until I had my system boot multi user.

2) you might try running pw_mkdb. I had some weird out of sync problems
after editing the passwd file to add some entries I was used to having
around. In addition, I couldn't run vipw for some reason, it died for
some reason I don't recall, or just failed to update something.

Eventually, I got it running, but am not sure exactly what I did to
do so any more. The thing that seemed to be happening was that I was
unable to change the passwd entries, even to add a password for root.
this left my system totally open and I couldn't leave it running. I
seem to recall that I did a manual install from the snapshot and played
around with the above 1 and 2 to get it working.

Hope this helps.

--
Joseph Sarkes                   mailto:joe@mediaone.net