Subject: Re: login: Permission denied
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: Josh Hope <otaku@unixborg.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/24/1999 13:54:01
>> It's becoming frustrating :) Out of all the great minds out there,
>> there's gotta be an answer *somewhere*.
>
>I haven't been following this too closely, so apologies if you've seen
>these before...
>
> + Can you cd to the home directory (as any user)?  If so, the following
>   will print out all the intermediate directories:

I can't cd to it as any user because the machine won't let me login as
any user, just as root. But yes, as root I can cd to /home so I suppose
that counts :)

>	#!/bin/sh
>
>	dir=`pwd`
>
>	while [ $dir != "/" ]; do
>		ls -ldo $dir
>		dir=`dirname $dir`
>	done

Nope, it yielded nothing new really...

>   I don't know if this will give us any hints we haven't seen before.
>
> + Are all users with directories off /home effected?  Ie, can you make
>   a new home directory called /home/foo and set the effected user's
>   home directory to that?

Yes. I made a test account previously to test this, and sure enough it's
everyone.

> + Can you make a new home directory called /hometest/foo and use that?

This doesn't work either! I even tried making one user have a directory
off of just / and still it won't work. I was hoping this would work, but
no go :/

> + Have you fsck'd the filesystem recently - with "-f" to force a check?

Yep, no problems whatsoever.

>Good luck!
>
>Simon.

Well, thanks for the attempt at least :)

I may have to re-install most everything, as something must've gone
incorrect when I re-installed the base package. This is the turning point
when everything went wrong (if that information helps at all)...

Thanks...

-- Josh Hope