Subject: Re: login: Permission denied
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Meyser <Matthias.Meyser@harz.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/18/1999 10:00:12
Hi

On Sun, Apr 18, 1999 at 02:21:48AM -0400, Josh Hope wrote:
> The kdump showed that the permission denied error comes upon trying to
> get into the home directory. But this makes no sense! I'm looking at the
> directory right now and it shows that its permissions are "drwxr-xr-x"
> and that the group "otaku:wheel" owns it (this is all as it should be).
> *What* could be hindering the action of su trying to access the
> /home/otaku dir?
>
> The /home dir has the same permissions but is owned by root:wheel. Ditto
> for the / directory (someone suggested checking this).
>
> Any ideas on this very enigmatic problem?

As I can remember there was(is) ab nasty trap wenn the homedir by itself
is (nfs)mounted. Then you have to set the permission of the underlying
mountpoint in the same way. (umount and then chmod)

Hope it helps
   Matthias Meyser

--
\\   //      N   N EEE TTT Matthias Meyser, Meyser@harz.de
 \\ //  eee  NN  N E    T  Gesellschaft fuer Informations- und