Subject: login: Permission denied
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Josh Hope <otaku@unixborg.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/17/1999 03:30:00
Well, out of a brief attack of stupidity I lost my passwd files. After
replacing it with the stock ones that come in the distribution, I can
login fine as root; however, the users I add can *not* login. I've
checked directory permissions (over and over and over and over) of
course, but they're all *correct* in every way.

Anyway, with any new user which I try to add, the user gets an error when
logging on which looks similar to:

login: /home/$USER: Permission denied (where $USER is the user trying to
login)

I get the same error if I try su'ing to the account from root. Another
thing which gets me is this: If I create an account with uid and gid of 0
(ie a sorta copy of root, like toor is) but using a home directory of
/home/user it will *still* give this error. The permissions of /home/user
quite obviously are drwxr-xr-x...and a privledged user should be at least
able to log in there! Especially if said privledged user OWNS the
directory!

Anyway, this is quite weird and illogical. I'm hoping one of you out
there has some helpful suggestions on how to solve this problem :) Most
likely it's something really obvious...

Thanks a lot...

-- Josh Hope