Subject: device not configured?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/15/1999 14:38:42
I'm having trouble adding some hardware to my i386 system.  I started with
a single hard drive which was split into about 500MB for NetBSD and 2
dos/win95 partitions of about 1GB.  I added a new hard drive (10GB) which
is going to be entirely for windows (not my choice).  I formatted the new
drive and copied all the dos and windows stuff over.  Next I changed the
new drive to be the master and the old drive to be the slave (IDE drives).

I can now boot dos/windows from the new drive.

My next step is to reclaim the extra 2G on the old drive for NetBSD.
However, I can't boot NetBSD anymore.  I've tried booting off of the 1.3.2
boot floppy, the same one I used to do the original install on this
machine and I see the old drive listed as wd1 (it used to be wd0).  So
after booting from the floppy, I did

mount /dev/wd1a  /mnt
mount /dev/wd1e /mnt/usr

and I could see all my old NetBSD stuff.  So I did

cd /mnt/etc

and edited fstab to have wd1 where it used to have wd0.

Now I boot the machine with the NetBSD boot floppy, hit space to give a
different boot command and try

boot wd1a:netbsd

and get

"boot wd1a:netbsd: Device not configured"

Any ideas??

This is still NetBSD-1.3.2/i386.  I was going to wait for the 1.4 release
and before upgrading again (instead of going to 1.3.3 first).

Thanks

-Dan