Subject: 1.4_ALPHA install issue
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Markus Illenseer <markus@core.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/15/1999 14:41:13
 Yesterday I tried to install NetBSD/i386 1.4_ALPHA on my Dell Laptitude
Notebook (P-II, docking station, CD-ROM, PCMCIA, USB, Soundcard, Network ex0).

 All went smooth until I tried to use ftp as installation method to download
and install the distribution sets. The ftp client could not connect to the
server and claims the servers' name is "ftp", which is wrong of course
(not FQDN and the machine I wanted to download from is not named 'ftp' at all).

 Pressing CTRL-Z and doing it manually works:
/usr/bin/ftp 'ftp://myaccount:mypassword@mymachine.mydomain.com/ftp/INSTALL/binary/sets/base.tgz'

 After everything was installed, the machine rebooted, just as desired.
The kernel supplied within base.tgz (?) kernel panics with
"aira0: overlaping IRQ 10" (sorry, didn't noted the exact error code) and
stops dead. I am sure that compiling my own pecific kernel will remove this
issue, as the generic kernel on the two floppies works just fine, but if it
is useful to actually report this message and error, please advice me and
tell what info is required for a send-pr in order to be helpful.

--
Markus Illenseer