Subject: Re: RealTek 8139 driver?
To: None <dbsaint@bellsouth.net>
From: Kenneth D. Merry <ken@plutotech.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/11/1999 14:03:10
dbsaint@bellsouth.net wrote...
> Please!
>
>  Let me know if you find this driver. Im sick of my 10 base T ne2000 card! Im
> very interested in testing it out !!!
>
> Cheers
>
> ----------------------------------
> Tony Hernandez ::: Intellon Corporation
>             MCP    A+
>        Workstation Administrator
>
> ----------------------------------
>
> On 11-Apr-99 Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
> > I've got the Realtek 8139 based 100base-TX board.
> >
> > IIRC, someone (Jason?) wrote a driver for this chip
> > and there was a call for testers for the driver.
> > I'd like to try this on my machines, but where can I get
> > the driver?
> > ---
> > Izumi Tsutsui
> > tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp

Well, I wouldn't get that card if I were you.  FreeBSD has a driver for it,
but according to the author (Bill Paul), it's a really crappy card.  Here's
a quote from FreeBSD's sys/pci/if_rl.c:

/*
 * RealTek 8129/8139 PCI NIC driver
 *
 * Supports several extremely cheap PCI 10/100 adapters based on
 * the RealTek chipset. Datasheets can be obtained from
 * www.realtek.com.tw.
 *
 * Written by Bill Paul <wpaul@ctr.columbia.edu>
 * Electrical Engineering Department
 * Columbia University, New York City
 */

/*
 * The RealTek 8139 PCI NIC redefines the meaning of 'low end.' This is
 * probably the worst PCI ethernet controller ever made, with the possible
 * exception of the FEAST chip made by SMC. The 8139 supports bus-master
 * DMA, but it has a terrible interface that nullifies any performance
 * gains that bus-master DMA usually offers.
[ ... ]
 *
 * It's impossible given this rotten design to really achieve decent
 * performance at 100Mbps, unless you happen to have a 400Mhz PII or
 * some equally overmuscled CPU to drive it.
 *
[ ... ]

If you want a decent card, get an Intel Etherexpress Pro board.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com