Subject: Re: i386 install: ne2000?
To: Dave Guynn <thinkstart@hotmail.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/11/1999 01:06:53
On Sat, Apr 10, 1999 at 12:54:00PM -0700, Dave Guynn wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    First, I would like for you to respond to my main e-mail,
> thinkstart@hotmail.com. Ok, anyway, I have three computers
> networked on non-routable IPs. I have the i386 distribution
> on a ftp server on my netbsd/mac68k.  I just installed a Kingston
> NE2000 on the 486 I want to run netbsd on, and I set up the network
> with the correct IP settings, with no router or domain name.  I
> format the hard drive, and put in the server path and IP. I then
> select the option to install. It waits, i get no hub traffic, and it
> says ne2: device timeout. Please help.

this is generally due to interrupts problems.
Is this a isa, isapnp or PCI board ?
If it's isa, check that it is configured for the rigth IRQ (this is documented
in the install notes).
If it's isa PnP, check that the IRQ it's using is not used by another device
(you'll have t check the kernel boot messages for this). If it's used
by a PCI device too, mark this IRQ as 'used by ISA device' in the bios.
If it's PCI, it may be using an IRQ used by an ISA device. If so, mark this
IRQ 'used by ISA device' in the BIOS.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>