Subject: Re: ne2000 (driver) performance
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/10/1999 00:41:27
On Fri, Apr 09, 1999 at 04:54:56PM -0400, Erik Rungi wrote:
> Does anyone know if the ne2000 pci driver is Known To Suck?  Or maybe its just
> my cards (Kingston KNE30's I believe).
AFAIK:
NE2000 cards don't use sophisticated techniques like "shared memory"
(not sure if this is the correct term) or DMA, data must be transfered
using something similar/equivalent to IDE's PIO-modes. That's why they're
so cheap.
This doesn't hurt you on a workstation with a single 10Base* connection
and a recent processor/board but for anything else I'd take something
better (i.e. with NetBSD supported DMA - are "shared memory" NICs still
in production?).

Bye,
  Thilo.
--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.