Subject: ne2000 (driver) performance
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Erik Rungi <blackbox@openface.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/09/1999 16:54:56
Hello!

I'm using a NetBSD-1.3.3/i386 box as a router with 4 ne2000 PCI cards in it,
and I'm beginning to see occasional:

Apr  9 16:07:17 bob /netbsd: ne5: warning - receiver ring buffer overrun

Since there is quite a bit more potential capacity for traffic going through
this things, I'm beginning to get a little worried.

Does anyone know if the ne2000 pci driver is Known To Suck?  Or maybe its just
my cards (Kingston KNE30's I believe).

Also, I'm mucking with accounting rules with IPF and my machine seems to barf
heavily if I put more than 1500 or so count rules in.  Are there any known
limitations for this type of thing?

While I'm on the subject of NetBSD-as-router, if anyone has done any work with
QoS or packet prioritization or multiple-gateway-or-interface entries in the
routing table (to load-balance over two interfaces) I'd be really happy to
hear about it!

Erik
blackbox@openface.ca