Subject: Re: wscons , vt0 ,pc0
To: None <dbsaint@bellsouth.net>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/08/1999 23:51:00
dbsaint@bellsouth.net writes:
> Hi all.
>
>         I was hearing that NetBSD now uses wscons , Is that more like vt0 or
> pc0?  I would love to have virtual consoles like I used to in linux. I tried to

More like vt0, as it provides virtual consoles.

> use vt0 and had many problems like the keyboard locking up and startx just
> blurting a color and freezing there .. crashing the OS basically. Is wscons an
> improvement on vt0 ?

I've never had this kind of trouble with pcvt.  It has always worked quite
well for me.  Is wscons an improvement on vt0?  Well, from a design standpoint
it is, because it is machine independent, providing a consistent console across
many ports.  From a user's perspective, it is "getting there", but not a full
pcvt replacement yet(*).

-Andrew

(*)  I don't mean this as a slam of the developers!  They have done wonderful
     work.  I just miss the 'quick switch F9-F12' feature, 132 columns, the
     other sizes 28/35/40/43/50, etc that PCVT provides.  Yet I use wscons
     since it is the direction, and is the only option on my other platforms.
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.