Subject: Adaptec AHA-2920 SCSI Cards...
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Josh Hope <otaku@unixborg.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/08/1999 14:34:40
I've run NetBSD/mac68k now for a few years, and I've just now come across
a decent i586 machine and decided to set it up for NetBSD. For
compatability reasons, I decided to also get a SCSI card so I can easily
transfer files from the old Mac.

So I received an Adaptec AHA-2920 card. After making the purchase, I
noticed that it was *not* on the supported hardware list. When booting off
of the start-up disk (which I have to do because the root partition is on
a IDE drive which is master on my secondary IDE chain), I can't access the
drive like I normally would with a "boot hd2a:netbsd" command. When doing
this command, the SCSI drive accesses, but I get an error. So I tried
hd3a, but this gives an Input/Output error.

In the dmesg, I think I see my SCSI card loading as a "Future
Domain...(SCSI mass storage system)" on pci1, after this though it reports
"not configured" (it reports the same for my VGA card, though).

Some other quick NetBSD/i386 related questions: Do we have something
similar to dt on NetBSD/mac68k or the vt stuff in Linux? I'm finding it
really hard to navigate around without cut and paste, and having to use
screen. In X my backspace key doesn't work, so I can run X if I were
perfect typing stuff (which I'm not quite yet).

If forced to, I will go back to Debian though I *really* don't want to do
this. I am so much more used to NetBSD...

Thank you for any assistance any of you are able to render :)

Josh Hope