Subject: Amusing tidbit about Windows/NT...
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@isc.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/07/1999 12:29:49
People used to express angst pretty frequently about how lame it is
that NetBSD couldn't automatically detect the blank irq and I/O spaces
that exist on some laptops - e.g., the NEC Versa 6030X.  The blank
spaces exist because some irq lines are reserved for built-in devices
that we usually disable.

It turns out that Windows NT has the same problem.  I think the only
reason Windows 95 seems immune to the problem is that vendors all ship
custom versions for their laptops with these sorts of problems fixed.
Windows NT 4.0 simply fails to use the 3c589 ethernet card on my
laptop, and NT 4.0SP4 hangs solid if you try to use it.

So buck up, dudes and dudettes - we're actually trying to solve the
problem (or have we already solved it and I don't know?), and we know
how to work around it, and our kernels don't crash as a result of it.
We have no reason to beat ourselves up about this.

			       _MelloN_