Subject: Re: Evil HP 7200i ATAPI CD burner experiences
To: Tom Javen <tomja@InnoTrac.fi>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/06/1999 15:01:51
On Apr 6, Tom Javen wrote
> Works fine for me too, had to disable the DMA modes also.

What chipset does you motherboard have ?

> Could this be put in some kind of quirks table ?

I don't think this is praticable.
This is not the device which is brocken, but maybe just that this device is
incompatible with your motherboard. I've a CD which fails in DMA mode
on a motherboard, but works on another. Both motherboard uses the VIA chipset,
so it's not even a device<>chipset incompatibility, but really this cheap
AT motherboard which is brocken (another CD drive from a different manufacturer
works fine on both motherboard).
However, the kernel should be able to detect such imcompatibilities and
exclude DMA. I prefer putting time to have this work properly if it doesn't
yet, than implementing a quirk table which will never be complete.