Subject: Re: fdisk in 1.3I too trusting of disk?
To: David W Talmage <talmage@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/06/1999 00:31:37
On Mon, Apr 05, 1999 at 06:04:36PM -0400, David W Talmage wrote:

> I undid my mistake by hacking fdisk slightly.  I'll submit a patch.
> Meanwhile, in case anyone is interested, fdisk's main() always calls a
> intuit_translated_geometry().  It shouldn't do that if the -b option is part
> of the command line.  That's my simple fix.

fdisk needs a reworking. This won't happen before 1.4; it'll only be
extended slightly to handle a few extra things. One of these things
is to take advantage of the geometry information that is now available
from the kernel, so that you won't get into dangerous guessing games
using intuit_translated_geometry(). These guesses were one of the major
problems during installation (i.e. people doing installs where booting
from harddisk failed). I modified the installation tool to avoid calling
fdisk entirely already, so for the installation the problem should be
gone.

I'll give fdisk a full rework after 1.4.

- Frank