Subject: Re: fdisk in 1.3I too trusting of disk?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: David W Talmage <talmage@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/05/1999 18:04:36
Source" to fix fdisk and submit a patch.   Antti Kantee <pooka@iki.fi> offered
a suggestion that used /dev/zero that I didn't understand.   Jonathan Stone
<jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU> stuck up for me, saying that it isn't fair to
expect an ordinary user to understand and fix fdisk.

Well, I'm only sometimes an ordinary user.  I'm not as heavily into NetBSD as
Perry or Ken (kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil), but once in a while I get to wear a
Superhero Costume.  I guess I was just frustrated and a lot concerned that I'd
done some real damage in my ignorance.

I undid my mistake by hacking fdisk slightly.  I'll submit a patch.
Meanwhile, in case anyone is interested, fdisk's main() always calls a
intuit_translated_geometry().  It shouldn't do that if the -b option is part
of the command line.  That's my simple fix.

David Talmage
who is sometimes clever enough