Subject: fdisk in 1.3I too trusting of disk?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: David W Talmage <talmage@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/05/1999 12:41:10
While trying to use fdisk to reserve a partition for suspending memory to disk, I managed to give it bogus values (they seemed reasonable at the time!) and save them to disk.  Now fdisk complains of a floating exception and dumps core.  I recompiled fdisk with the debugger symbols and discovered that it thinks that the number of heads is zero in intuit_translated_geometry().

How can I undo this without hacking fdisk?  I tried the -b and -s flavors of fdisk but they insist on calling inuit_translated_geometry(), too.  It would be easy to make fdisk not call intuit_translated_geometry() if the -b flag is present.  Would that be a Bad Thing?

WFIW, my computer still boots.

David Talmage
who is sometimes too clever by half