Subject: Re: bsd-friendly laptops
To: Wenchi Liao <wliao@midway.uchicago.edu>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/04/1999 23:35:58
>Most laptops sold include various modem or ethernet pc cards. The
>ethernet I'm not too worried about; it will probably be a 3com
>something or another. Any modem that might be problematic?

Avoid any WinModem, because they aren't "real" modems (well, they're
real modems, but they don't emulate a UART and require a software DSP
that AFAIK there exists no Unix driver for).

>Finally, I'd like the suspend to disk type power-saving to work :-)
>Experience one way or another would be greatly appreciated.

AFAIK all of the new Sony 505XX Vaios seem to work fairly well.  Drawback
is only one PCMCIA slot, but there is a built-in modem (that works
with NetBSD!) so it's not so bad.  Suspend to disk works fine for me.

--Ken