Subject: Re: Evil HP 7200i ATAPI CD burner experiences
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/04/1999 11:22:11
On Sat, 3 Apr 1999, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:

: So, as it turns out, now I have experience with HP 7200i CD burners under
: NetBSD.
:
: The verdict: It doesn't work. I'm returning it.

Works fine for me, with the following nits:

cd0 at atapibus0 drive 1: <HP      CD-Writer+ 7200, 4VO0798251132880021, V:003.0> type 5 cdrom removable
cd0: 32-bits data port
cd0: drive supports PIO mode 3, DMA mode 1

: 1) With the CD burner installed, I couldn't access my normal CD drive. Trying
: actually locked my system. (No panic, just locked. Odd.)

It's not locked.  Wait about 45 seconds, and I'll bet you a dollar that you
get a note about lost DRQ on wdc0 or pciide0.  The drive says above that
it supports DMA mode 1, but either it lies, or Manuel's DMA is broken.  :)

If you try to do DMA to the other drive (any kind, HDs too) on the wdc bus
with this drive, you'll get a hang.  I had to disable DMA modes on the wd1
that was on the same bus.

: 2) With the normal CD drive removed, I could see and use the HP drive as a
: normal CD drive, but cdrecord couldn't see it. 'cdrecord -scanbus' told me
: that there weren't any SCSI drivers available for what it saw, if I'm re-
: membering correctly. 'cdrecord blah blah blah dev=/dev/cd0a' said the same.

Now, I have a similar problem as of recent (<15 day old) kernels; something
in the kernel just Went Away and I now get the text of EOPNOTSUPP as an
error message from cdrecord.

: Looking through the source, there seems to be something in place to get
: NetBSD to use an ATAPI CD burner, but it didn't evidently work. To make
: sure that support was actually compiling in, I removed the guards around
: it, and saw exactly the same behaviour with the resulting binary as with
: the clean binary. "Doh."

the _cdrecord_ source?  From pkgsrc, it works Fine for me (barring the
kernel changes above).