Subject: Re: Evil HP 7200i ATAPI CD burner experiences
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/04/1999 14:16:27
On Apr 3, Mason Loring Bliss wrote
> On Sat, Apr 03, 1999 at 03:54:17AM -0500, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:
>
> > Hi! I'm wondering if anyone has any comments with regard to HP 7200i CD
> > burners.
>
> So, as it turns out, now I have experience with HP 7200i CD burners under
> NetBSD.
>
> The verdict: It doesn't work. I'm returning it.
>
> There were two problems:
>
> 1) With the CD burner installed, I couldn't access my normal CD drive. Trying
> actually locked my system. (No panic, just locked. Odd.)

The dmesg could help here. An install document from Iomega suggest
always putting an ATAPI CD as slave, because some model don't behave properly
when installed as master with a slave disk.

> 2) With the normal CD drive removed, I could see and use the HP drive as a
> normal CD drive, but cdrecord couldn't see it. 'cdrecord -scanbus' told me
> that there weren't any SCSI drivers available for what it saw, if I'm re-
> membering correctly. 'cdrecord blah blah blah dev=/dev/cd0a' said the same.

Did it report having found something anyway ?

As far as I know, cdrecord doesn't do distinction between ATAPI and SCSI
under NetBSD (the userland interface is the same, the necessary conversions
are made in kernel).