Subject: Re: HP 7200i ATAPI CD burner experiences?
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/03/1999 14:52:07
On Sat, Apr 03, 1999 at 03:54:17AM -0500, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:

> I'm curious if our cdrecord supports this... The README.ATAPI on our
> package system cdrecord says that ATAPI CD-R is only supported under Linux.

  I picked up a cheap CD-RW ATAPI drive (2x write), and
cdrecord can use it fine under i386, regardless of what the
documentation says -- I think in the Linux world, they have/had
very separate code for ATAPI vs. SCSI, whereas ours is more
unified, and the cdrecord folks don't know that.

  Last kernel I tried (from about a week ago) had problems
using DMA mode, but Manuel is looking into that.  It works fine
using PIO, though.

  Brian