Subject: bsd-friendly laptops
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org, port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Wenchi Liao <wliao@midway.uchicago.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/02/1999 16:51:22
I plan on getting a laptop to run i386 port of netbsd. It will probably
be a dual boot machine (linux and netbsd :-).

Are there any really bsd-unfriendly companies I should stay away from?
I'd like to run x on it, so I want to avoid odd-pointer devices. I am
capable of/willing to recompile kernels, so I suppose as long as the
pointer can be supported in a standard distribution, then it will be
fine.

Most laptops sold include various modem or ethernet pc cards. The
ethernet I'm not too worried about; it will probably be a 3com
something or another. Any modem that might be problematic?

Finally, I'd like the suspend to disk type power-saving to work :-)
Experience one way or another would be greatly appreciated.

Any other hardware-type gotchas would be appreciated.

WL