Subject: Re: CVS commit: src
To: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/01/1999 21:22:34
tsarna@endicor.com said:
> Is this really a good idea? This is the vector that goes to 40 column
> mode and prints "NO ROM BASIC" normally, right?

On my machines (which are all quite modern) I get a
"PRESS ANY KEY TO REBOOT". In 80 columns.

> Who knows what it will do on any given
> machine.

What happened before was that the machine locked up solidly.
So it can't be _much_ worse.

Some newer papers encourage its use by the primary boot loader,
in the case is fatal errors. (BIOS Boot Specification v. 1.01 from
Phoenix/Intel/...) I don't know whether many machines really follow
these proposals, but compared to a lockup - there is at least
some hope...

best regards
Matthias