Subject: Re: MBR lossage (was: Success with Compaq Deskpro XL 566 (AMD AM79C974))
To: Ken Harrenstien <klh@us.oracle.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/01/1999 13:42:06
On Apr 1, Ken Harrenstien wrote
> (p.p.s.  For a supposedly slow and obsolete 66MHz machine, NetBSD makes
> it look surprisingly and impressively spiffy!  As a way of returning
> the favor, if anyone else thinks this class of everything-but-monitor
> SCSI setup was in fact worth $100, I'd be happy to refer you to the
> place I found them.)

antioche.lip6.fr has been a 486dx33 with 8Mb RAM (and SCSI disks) for
some time (it's now a dx4/100). Handling mail, ftp and www fine. At one time I
beated it up on the ground with several PPro sending it mail as fast as
possible (this was to track down a VM bug) and it was capable of delivering
more than 3000 mails per hour (without crash after the bug was fixed :).
Who needs a PII for a server ? :)