Subject: Re: AMD SCSI driver? Another soul lost in Deskpro XL limbo...
To: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
From: Roger Brooks <R.S.Brooks@liverpool.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/30/1999 01:04:01
On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Andrew Gillham wrote:

>Actually doesn't this part have some 8bit backward compatibility mode?
>I vaguely recall something like this from reading the datasheets.  My
>brother has a Deskpro XL, but the pcscp driver didn't exactly work
>last time he tested it.  It looks like the driver was changed in January,
>so it may work better now.  I'd suggest trying one of the 1.4alpha
>snapshot boot floppies, and see what happens.

It should work, provided you aren't trying to write tapes with blocksize
> 4 KB.  I back-ported the pcscp driver to NetBSD 1.3.2, using the code
from -current around 26/1/99.  The patch which Izumi Tsutsui (who wrote
the pcscp driver) submitted a few days ago (kern/7252) has fixed the
problem writing large tape blocks.  But even without that patch, the
driver appears to work for everything else apart from tape writes > 4 KB.
For example, I was able to duplicate my EIDE system disk to a borrowed
SCSI drive connected to my Tekram DC-390 and boot and run from it for
several hours with no problems whatsoever.

Roger

Roger Brooks (Systems Programmer),          |  Email: R.S.Brooks@liv.ac.uk
Computing Services Dept,                    |  Tel:   +44 151 794 4441
The University of Liverpool,                |  Fax:   +44 151 794 4442
PO Box 147, Liverpool L69 3BX, UK           |