Subject: DELAY on i386 change?
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/28/1999 22:02:35
Another useful trick is to take advantage of the fact that delay(n)
is never called with values of n larger than about 5 million, so it
can be implemented as a macro that passes some multiple of uSec. to
the actual delay function.  For example:

	/* param.h */
	#define	DELAY(n)	delay(n)
	#define delay(us)	_delay((us)<<8)
	extern void _delay __P((unsigned));

	/* machdep.c? */
	int delay_divisor=25; /* tuned at boot */
	void _delay(usecX256)
	{
	  while (usecX256 > 0)
	    usecX256 = (volatile) usecX256 - delay_divisor;
	}

With something like the above, the shortest possible delay is
nearly the same as the time for a function call/return.

(The above is how I dealt with this on the sun3.  I didn't bother
to actually dynamically tune the delay_divisor,  but on the sun3
the clock rates and delay_divisor values are all well known.)