Subject: Re: Kernel configs
To: NetBSD port i386 <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/28/1999 16:18:54
(this should probably be on tech-kern?)

[ On Sunday, March 28, 1999 at 15:15:44 (+0200), Eric Delcamp wrote: ]
> Subject: Kernel configs
>
> I understand some kernels config in conf/:
> GENERIC - all possible options

My understanding is that "GENERIC" is a generably useful configuration
that should work on most common machines of the given architecture and
with the most common add-on hardware and hardware configurations.

I'd like to see a LINT kernel ala what FreeBSD provides where indeed
everything possible is included and enabled (though perhaps not
documented ala FreeBSD -- I like options(4) better!).

> But some others are obscur for me:
> BIKINI, HOMEWORLD, KICKME, MINBAR, NBFTP, NWSCONS (should be deleted, no ?),
> SUN_LAMP, TRINITY, ZHADUM, ZYG..... Why theses config are in this directory
> ? Should go to /usr/share/something/examples/, there are only personal
> config, with little interest.

/usr/share/examples/kernel or something might be more appropriate.

However I'd like to see some truely useful *examples* in this case.  For
example everyone talks about how to "wire down" the device probing so
that things don't move around if new hardware is added by accident, or
something breaks but is necessary for correct operation of the system,
but there are no really good real-life examples of doing this
consistently (I've got an example I could submit though...).

--
							Greg A. Woods