Subject: Re: boot images
To: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
From: John Darrow <John.P.Darrow@wheaton.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/25/1999 19:53:57
>> How are things like the install CD made?  I have a -current
>> system running, and I'd rather just make an install CD image
>> than download 150MB from poor ftp.netbsd.org.
>
>Seriously, though, attached below you'll find the Makefile and
>the various other goo I used when putting together the current
>CD-ROM image, and I've unpaked it in /usr/src/distrib/i386/cd-rom.
>If you packed out the source tarballs I created from the last
>snapshot, it's in there...
>
>Not sure it's in committable shape, though, e.g. it uses an
>out-of-tree tool (mkisofs, from pgksrc) to construct the image.
>
>There's probably some more automation that can go into preparing the
>inputs to construct this image, and better integration with "make
>release" would be a bonus.  Currently I just manually (cough...)
>collect all the binary tarballs and images in /usr/release (settable)
>and source in /usr/src-rel (also settable) before doing the make.

I've put together some patches to the makefiles to automate the
process of building complete snapshots, including X, source, and proper
handling of domestic sources (e.g. domestic binaries don't end up in
the supposedly 'exportable' tarballs, as they do now, though that part of
the build doesn't take place anyway for those of you outside the US and
Canada).  I submitted the changes as pr misc/7089, and Scott Reynolds
said he'd take a look at them; but thus far nothing has been done with
them.

I could probably add something to this quite easily to run mkisofs
on the resulting snapshot, or even to build an installation disk fs
and then use mkhybrid to generate an El-Torito format bootable CD-ROM
image.  Then all I'd need is a CD burner :)

The patches are available from ftp://ftp.wheaton.edu/pub/jdarrow/ .

(I'll probably reupdate the patches to today's current sometime soon...)

jdarrow

--
John Darrow
Computing Services, Wheaton College, Wheaton, IL