Subject: 1.3K snapshot problems...
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/25/1999 16:02:14
  I just upgraded my desktop 1.3I (December snapshot) and ThinkPad 360P
1.3.3 to 1.3K.  The desktop install went fine, but when I got to the
ThinkPad, sysinst cored upon exiting the fdisk screen.  newfs also cored.
However, installboot worked fine, as did rm -rf *, gzcat, and tar, so I
did get the system onto the drive.  The 1.3.3 install had worked
perfectly.

  I just now noticed the following on the notebook:
cpu0: family 4 model 2 step b
cpu0: Intel 486SX (486-class)
real mem  = 20578304
avail mem = 15400960
using 276 buffers containing 1130496 bytes of memory

  IIRC, it reported using 17MB+ with 1.3.3.

  On the desktop:
cpu0: family 6 model 0 step 0
cpu0: Cyrix 6x86MX (686-class)
real mem  = 66715648
avail mem = 58220544
using 840 buffers containing 3440640 bytes of memory

  Note that on my desktop X (and even Netscape) is running very quickly,
so I would be very impressed if it was only using < 4MB of memory.

  Furthermore, floating point emulation seems to be broken (when compiling
a new kernel, the npx_ calls in the second and third from last functions
of locore.s are undefined;  puting #if NNPX > 0 around them allows it to
compile, but still does not work (X and ps -augx produce a bus error and
vmstat produces a segmentation fault.  Hmm... does vmstat use floating
point?  Perhaps this is a different problem).  The same errors occur with
a generic kernel.

  I've passed the limits of my diagnostic capabilities, so any help would
be greatly appreciated.

  One other (unrelated) bug: there does not seem to be a way (that I can
find) of turning off command confimation during install.  This makes it
impossible to start the install and do something else while it is
installing.  Unless I missed something...

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@pgh.net