Subject: NetBSD/i386 Mar 15 1999 snapshot, with CD-ROM image
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/17/1999 00:09:51
Hi,

I have now rolled out another snapshot of NetBSD-current.  I
guess the major improvements over the last snapshot would be
(picked from doc/CHANGES):

 o Further improvements to the scheduler
 o /etc/mk.conf: NOxxx=3Dyes -> MKxxx=3Dno; added mk.conf(5)
 o COMPAT_AOUT added, in preparation of ELF support on i386 (no,
   we have not taken the leap quite yet, but most if not all
   pieces are now ready)
 o binutils upgraded to 2.9.1
 o 'eject' improvements
 o grep upgraded to GNU grep 2.3.
 o Cirrus Logic 240[01] four-channel serial controller driver
 o in-tree GNU chess dropped (newer version in pkgsrc)
 o nl(1) added for XPG4.2 compatibility
 o systat 'ps' view added
 o RAIDframe update (component labels, hot-add spares, in-place
   rebuild, shutdownhooks)
 o netgroup and innetgr added.
 o dump now handles 'nodump' flag on directories

The snapshot can be found in

ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/i386/snap-19990315/NetBSD-1.3K/i386/

The sources this snapshot was built from is available in

ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/i386/snap-19990315/NetBSD-1.3K/source/

Included this time is also a bootable CD-ROM image, to be found
in .../i386/binary/cdrom/.  The 140+MB image is not split up in
smaller pieces on ftp.netbsd.org (due to (hopefully) temporary
disk space problems), but 4M pieces of the CD-ROM image can be
had from

ftp://ftp.ntnu.no/pub/NetBSD/local/i386-cdrom/split/

together with an MD5 checksum file for the individual pieces.

This time I've actually succeeded in doing a complete test boot
and install from the CD-ROM image, and I guess that means the
floppies will also work, as the boot image on the CD-ROM is a
floppy image.  This means that sysinst no longer crashes (yay!),
at least not with the paths I chose through the install process.
I do however expect (hope!) there will be changes to sysinst to
require less human interaction during the install process before
the next release.

Also, as mentioned before, note that the INSTALL kernel found on
the two-floppy set has DDB included (with DDB_ONPANIC set to 0),
so if you have problems with the PCMCIA code allocating non-
working interrupts when booting (e.g. due to undtected hardware
"owning" the interrupt), you can boot into DDB with "boot -d" and
patch pcic_isa_intr_alloc_mask to your liking before continuing
(admittedly not exactly elegant, but it's better than nothing).
By default IRQ 10 is masked out, and the corresponding mask is
0xfbff.

This time I've also included the X11 sets.  I've verified that
``xterm'', ``xclock'' and ``emacs'' works as they should but not
much else.

As always, please report any bugs found.

Regards,

- H=E5vard