Subject: Re: sony 505 vaio
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/15/1999 11:34:09
Ken Hornstein writes:
> com1 at isa0 port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3: ns16550a, working fifo

ditto.  I get probes for com0, com1, com2.

> as for your tip problems ... do you have dc set in /etc/remote?
> Here's mine:

I  forgot to try to hotwire the DCD.

(In general try to avoid 'dc' because I really like to have the
carrier detect stuff active, and tip exit if the connection breaks.)

> I found setting the spindown time low (10 seconds) was a huge help as
> well.

I ran at 5 seonds for a while, but I'm a big chicken when it comes to
disk spin-downs.  I basically feel guilty every time the head grinds
against the media.

Is anyone rating their disks in number of spindowns before failure?
That would be an interesting number to know.

Now if I can just convince the box to not panic on boots when I run
dhclient instead of an autoconfiged ifconfig I'd be all happy.
Strangly dhcpd has nothing to do with the panic, other than changing
the timing.  The panic is a "lockmgr: locking against myself" from the
"mount -u /{,usr,var,u}" calls from the /etc/apm/line script that gets
called when apmd fires up.  I guess I found a way to reproduce this
lock panic more or less at will.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Rupprecht    <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/