Subject: Re: changes?
To: Matt <spore@psibercom.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/10/1999 14:36:26
On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, Matt wrote:

> I've been trying to compile ntpd 4.x for some time and a problem that I
> thought was the ntpd code might be something in netbsd 1.3.x but i'm not
> sure.
>
> The reason I think this is that I had compiled xntpd 3-5.92 over a year
> ago with no problem and now when I try to do it under netbsd 1.3 I get the
> same problem.
>
> Here's what happens in the latest ntpd version:
>
> gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I../include    -g -O2 -Wall -Wshadow
> -Wwrite-strings -Wconversion -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-qual
> -Wstrict-prototypes -pipe -c ntp_timer.c
> ntp_timer.c: In function `init_timer':
> ntp_timer.c:88: storage size of `itimer' isn't known
> ntp_timer.c:88: warning: unused variable `itimer'
>

> The man page for getitimer(2) seems to indicate this would be defined in
> <sys/time.h>.  the thing is I don't have an old NetBSD <sys/time.h> to
> do a comparison, and the ftp site seems to indicate these sources are
> offline somewhere.

???

getitimer is declared in sys/sys/time.h in -current. It is declared as:
int  getitimer __P((int, struct itimerval *));
and the delcaration hasn't changed since version 1.1 of the file (from
21-Mar-93).

What is the declaration of the variable itimer look like? Also, as you get
a variable-unused error, chances are that this variable, and the includes
to use it, are supposed to be within #ifdef's, and the variable's
declaration leaked out.

sys/sys/time.h also is on the ftp server, and the 1.3 source seems to be
there too. Were you looking at ftp.netbsd.org, or a mirror. Mirrors
occasionally drop things to conserve space.

Take care,

Bill