Subject: Re: Netscape ??
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/04/1999 16:52:07
: Is there even thoughts of having Netscape ported over to netBSD ? To be
: quite frank mozilla kinda' blows. Any other good web  browsers? Netscape is
: ported to other unices <darn near all> why not NetBSD ?

Since you're talking to port-i386, let me give you a cool hint.  ;)

Download the bsdi11 version of Netscape.

Recompile the NetBSD kernel to include all of:
    COMPAT_NOMID COMPAT_09 COMPAT_10 COMPAT_12 (and COMPAT_13 if on -current)
(COMPAT_11 can be included for completeness, but is not necessary)

Run it.  Voila!  :)

As to the larger question, Netscape 5.0 (which will be built upon the
Mozilla sources) will be ported to NetBSD, and I've already set up a contact
at Netscape to make that happen.  Unfortunately, they aren't interested in
cross-compile environments for NetBSD binaries of 4.x, so those just won't
be native, ever.