Subject: Re: Q: file systems & sizes
To: Eric Delcamp <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/02/1999 10:53:20
	We experimented with a number of different partitioning schemes around
here.  The one I hit upon for ease of configuration, most flexibility and
most efficient use of the spindle was to make the root disk consist of root
and swap.  Swap is always 2X the size of memory, unless I feel we're going
to add memory to a specific machine or unless I know the virtual
requirements are going  to exceed the physical requirements.  We stuff /usr
/var and the tmps into the root disk.  For specific servers, such as the
mail server, we put a separate spindle on for mailboxes and
/var/spool/mqueue.
	This arrangement works well because it keeps the spindles from
thrashing accross partition boundaries when the machine is busy and allows
us to use space where we need it, rather than sym linking our way to where
we want it when we suddenly have a need to redistribute where data is on a
given machine and no time to repartition.  The primary advantage of small
roots, in the old days, was that you could boot off tape, read a quick root
filesystem and be up and going on a disk quickly.  Now, with the advent of
large backup tapes, there's no real need to split partitions accross big
disks unless you have a situation where you absolutely cannot have one
application encroach on another application's space.  In those cases, I
recommend a root disk for the OS and packages and separate spindles for
major applications on the server, i.e. httpd, sendmail, DNS, radius, etc.
-Brian