Subject: Re: Q: file systems & sizes
To: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
From: None <h.Hoppe@ind.tno.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/02/1999 11:48:47
VaX#n8 pondered:
> What kind of partition sizes and schemes are people using?
> Another BSD suggests / swap /usr /var /tmp /var/tmp /home, possibly also
> /usr/local and /usr/X11R6.  Anyone care to comment on that scheme?
> It seems a bit overboard to me; I've found a mfs /tmp to be useful.
> IMHO if you're going to have a disk partition ("slice") for /tmp having
> another for /var/tmp seems redundant.

I normally use the following setup for multi-purpose machines:

/          - about 100MB
swap       - about 150-250MB, with about 75% of the swap space
             made available to a mfs /tmp
/var       - about 100MB
/usr       - about 500MB
/usr/local - the rest of the disk

Home directories go on /usr/local/home, and all non-distribution
software (including things like pkgsrc) go on /usr/local.
I always keep /tmp seperate from /, and keep /tmp and /var/tmp on
different partitions (and of course, /var/tmp must not be on mfs).
You /var mileage may vary, depending on mail
intensity, (new)syslog settings, large print spool jobs, etc.

Greetings,
      - Hans