Subject: Re: i386 serial and add-in cards
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/01/1999 22:03:27
In message <199903020348.DAA29186@orchard.arlington.ma.us>, Bill Sommerfeld wri
tes:
>Do you have documentation for the board?

Some.

>Does it have a mode where you can share multiple ports on an IRQ?  if
>so, the ast driver might work with it.

It doesn't seem to; it looks like it's just supposed to be multiple com ports.
They suggest that you can share IRQ's if you have one device that's pretty
much only one-way... but I don't know what they mean.  It's supposed to work
under DOS, Unix, Linux, or Wizard.

>Enabling interrupts for multiport cards is often done differently (see
>sys/dev/isa/ast.c, sys/dev/isa/com_multi.c, and
>sys/dev/isa/com_isa.c); for instance, the com_multi driver sets
>COM_HW_NOIEN, which causes the MCR register in the UART to be
>initialized differently; if this setting isn't correct, the device
>won't interrupt...

Hmm.  Might be worth trying.  Is this all applicable to 1.3.3?  I'm not
using -current just yet.

-s