Subject: Re: "Too many open files" hang in 1.3 and 1.3.3
To: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
From: Zdenek Salvet <salvet@ics.muni.cz>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/01/1999 14:03:59
> It happened again, more or less 7 days since last time:
>

> Feb 28 22:02:40 atlas inetd[4463]: warning: cannot open
> /etc/hosts.allow: Too many open files
>

> This was with kern.maxfiles set to 13336.
>
> I wrote a little shell-script to monitor the number of open files on the
> system. The granularity is 10 seconds. According to it, the maximum
> observed number of open files was 8765, observed some 6 hours earlier.
>
> As I wrote in my previous message, that number is not steadily climbing
> while the system is up. It goes up and down all the time, as would be
> expected.

You should check "fstat -p `cat /var/run/inetd.pid`" command I have
recommended before. "Too many open files" error message says that
*per process* descriptor limit is reached, not system limit.

--
Zdenek Salvet                                              salvet@ics.muni.cz
Ustav vypocetni techniky Masarykovy univerzity, Brno