Subject: RE: "Too many open files" hang in 1.3 and 1.3.3
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/01/1999 13:09:48
I wrote:

> After some observations I found that using sysctl(8) to set
> kern.maxfiles to 13336 (twice the default @ maxusers set to
> 128) did the
> trick.

Not quite, I'm afraid.

It happened again, more or less 7 days since last time:

Feb 28 22:02:40 atlas inetd[4463]: warning: cannot open
/etc/hosts.allow: Too many open files

This was with kern.maxfiles set to 13336.

I wrote a little shell-script to monitor the number of open files on the
system. The granularity is 10 seconds. According to it, the maximum
observed number of open files was 8765, observed some 6 hours earlier.

As I wrote in my previous message, that number is not steadily climbing
while the system is up. It goes up and down all the time, as would be
expected.

Since I wrote my last message on this subject I also upgraded wu-ftpd to
the latest version, just to have everything up to date.

What is happening here?

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Helliesen   | Bergen IT Consult AS  | NetBSD/VAX on a uVAX II
Systems Consultant | Bergen, Norway        | '86 Jaguar Sovereign 4.2