Subject: Re: DVD question
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: James Wetterau <jwjr@name.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/25/1999 22:45:29
Michael Graff says:
> James Wetterau <jwjr@name.net> writes:
>
> > 1. What is the status of DVD support?  Is it planned, coming soon,
> > never or what?  Also, one of the manufacturers I'm interested in
> > refers to their DVDs as DVD/Es, so I wondered if anyone knows about
> > that specifically.
>
> What sort of support are you looking for?

Sorry if this question is a bit ignorant, but my understanding is that
a lot of laptops now come with DVD drives in lieu of CDs, and the
drive can read either CDs or DVDs.  At minimum, I would want to be
able to read CDs.  Otherwise I'd rather just get a CD drive.  The
machine is going to to have to be (for a couple of other reasons) a
dual-boot machine with Windows NT installed as well, so the added
value of a DVD player will come in under NT only, I guess.

>  As far as I know, noone has
> released public info on how to set the decryption key in the DVD
> drives to handle decrypted disks, and noone has written the filesystem
> layer.
...>

Aha.  Thanks for the info,
James